Fri, Feb 4 Blasted Buzzer, Rayf run-around

Friday, February 4, 2022

I found the bus parked over by Steinmetz's house across the street from Wendy's. She must have have been tight on time or something this morning.

Wendy notified both Jim and I that the buzzer on the right emergency window on #21 is chirping again.  When I went to check it something must have happened because then it wouldn't turn off at all.  I even tried unscrewing the mechanism and moving it down like we've done in the past,  but it was struck and I didn't want to break anything.

I called Jim who came down to the grade school immediately to take a look.  We had to send the preschoolers back inside while we got the buzzer worked out.  Jim found a piece of plastic in the track that's broken off.  He's going to call the Collins Bus guy and have him come back to fix it again. 

Kaci and Linlee are both out sick today so I've got the preschool aides helping me today.  Emily Gillespie rode with me down to Lil' Cubs to drop off the only 2 AM kids that were here today.  I'll pick up Ruth Splitter at 11:40am to help with the PM route.
 
It's always fun having Ruth ride with me. She is great with the kids, and she brought me up to speed on how Vivian Bagby is doing since being adopted. She's changed her name and is thriving in her new situation.
 
I wasn't sure if I should park the bus back at the school or back where I found it but Wendy wasn't answering her phone. Then I saw her running toward me from the school. She said she had laid Collin down for a nap and had to run the van back to the school real quick. She didn't have her phone with her. She told me to go ahead and park the bus by the school like normal.
 
Later when I was walking home from the school, I ran into Amy Pieplow who is currently in quarantine with her family. She was in her van with her younger boys and stopped to say hi. As we were chatting she asked if I knew why Wendy wasn't answering her phone. I told her she probably had it turned down while Collin was sleeping but asked what was up. Rayf's parents are wanting him to stay later today so he can participate in the SGS Olympics Opening Ceremonies. I had the time, so I told her I could run over at talk to Wendy about it. 

Wendy told me she was driving the HS basketball team this afternoon and couldn't do a later pickup time. She was frustrated about the whole situation in general. She feels like the district has bent over backwards for Rayf's parents already. They want Rayf to be treated like any of the other kids, until they want special treatment. If any other child had a schedule change like this the parents would arrange to pick the child up. She says we need to start saying, "That might work...this time...but it may not always be feasible." So, this time, I happen to be available and can take Rayf home after the ceremony is over. I told Wendy that we had mentioned this concern as well as the mess she deals with every early release day when we had our last bus meeting, but she wasn't there to hear what was said and Jim didn't move forward on anything we recommended. I encouraged her to take some time next week to go in and talk with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Magnet

Balie must have had trouble with the papers falling on her while driving too. Fancy new types schedule held up by a much stronge...